33.4 C
New York
Tuesday, August 9, 2022
No menu items!

Ricky Martin ‘can move forward with his life’ after restraining order against him scrapped | Ents & Arts News



Ricky Martin’s lawyers say justice has been done and he “can move forward with his life and career” after a restraining order against him was lifted by a court in Puerto Rico.

The temporary order had been obtained by his nephew, who was granted it by a judge earlier this month, and which was due to end today.

But it has not been extended after the accuser withdrew his claims – as the Puerto Rican singer wrote “truth prevails”.

The order has been “archived”, meaning the case was closed, according to a judicial spokesperson.

They said: “The petitioner ceased his claims voluntarily; therefore the case was archived and no further procedures are required.”

Appearing virtually from Los Angeles today, the Livin’ La Vida Loca singer did not address the court.

His accuser had said in a domestic violence complaint that he feared for his safety because Martin had refused to accept his decision to end a romantic relationship, had continued calling him and had loitered outside his home.

Martin’s legal team said the accuser was a “troubled individual” who “made false allegations with absolutely nothing to substantiate them”.

Addressing the original order which was granted under the US territory’s Domestic Violence Prevention and Intervention Law, 50-year-old Martin had denied on Twitter all accusations against him, saying they were “completely false”.

Speaking to NBC News, Martin’s lawyer denied any romantic or sexual relationship with his nephew and challenged allegations that he stalked and harassed him.

The protection order alleged the Puerto Rican singer and his nephew were in a romantic relationship for seven months, but had since separated.

Martin’s nephew’s name was redacted from the documents, but the pop star’s representatives confirmed who it was after rumours circulated online last week.

After the order was archived, Martin tweeted “truth prevails”.

He also included a statement by his legal team, which said: “The accuser confirmed to the court that his decision to dismiss the matter was his alone, without any outside influence or pressure, and the accuser confirmed he was satisfied with his legal representation in the matter.

“The request came from the accuser asking to dismiss the case.

“This was never anything more than a troubled individual making false allegations with absolutely nothing to substantiate them. We are glad that our client saw justice done and can now move forward with his life and his career.”

Martin has been married to Syrian-Swedish painter Jwan Yosef since 2017, and the couple live in Puerto Rico with their two children.



Source link

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

224FansLike
206FollowersFollow
105FollowersFollow

Latest Articles

More From The Web